This Impact Area invests your money in companies impacting United Nations Global Goal 12, Responsible Consumption and Production, which ensures sustainable consumption and production patterns.
Why is this important?
According to the World Bank and the Environmental Protection Agency:
- Waste generation worldwide is accelerating along with increased income levels. It is expected to double between 2010 and 2025 to 2.2 billion tons per year.
- Containers and plastic packaging are the biggest components of plastic waste, with over 14 million tons in 2015. Only about 30% of this is recycled.
- 1.57 jobs are created for every 1,000 tons of materials recycled.
How do we choose companies in this Impact Area?
- We look at company reporting
- We partner with third-party rating firms
- We employ a proprietary scoring methodology
- We exclude companies that have severe negative incidents or controversies
On what themes and metrics are companies evaluated?
- Percentage of revenue from recycling and waste reduction operations
- Percentage of revenue from resource-efficient materials, products, and services
- Ongoing reduction of packaging and end-consumer waste from products
Reduce WasteSample Companies
- K The Kellogg Company
- KMB Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- TIF Tiffany & Co.
- T AT&T Inc.
- ABT Abbott Laboratories
The featured companies are examples of companies that may be included in the portfolio.