This Impact Area invests your money in companies impacting United Nations Global Goal 9, Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure, which aims to build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization, and foster innovation, and Global Goal 11, Sustainable Cities and Communities, which aims to make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable.
Why is this important?
According to the World Bank, the World Health Organization, and the United Nations:
- 55% of the world's population lives in urban areas, which is expected to increase to 68% by 2050, meaning another 2.5 billion people will live in cities.
- The ocean is rising, and more than 600 million people live in coastal areas within cities that are less than 10 meters above sea level.
- Buildings produce more than 40% of U.S. CO2 emissions. LEED-certified buildings generate 34% less CO2.
How do we choose companies in this Impact Area?
- We look at company reporting
- We partner with third-party rating firms
- We employ a proprietary scoring methodology
- We exclude companies with severe negative incidents or controversies
On what themes and metrics are companies evaluated?
- Percentage of operation expenditures in R&D dedicated to Global Goals 9 and 11
- Percentage of revenue generated from green buildings
- Number and severity of data privacy incidents
Modern CitiesSample Companies
- CB Chubb Ltd.
- PLD Prologis Inc.
- JCI Johnson Controls Inc.
- CSCO Cisco Systems Inc.
- ALL Allstate Corp.
Knowledge is power - Read the blog
- 4.2 Billion People Live in Cities. Let's Make Them Better. Read More
How Volunteering Makes You Healthier, Happier, and More Fulfilled
Making a DifferenceRead More
Life-Changing Trips: 3 Sustainable Destinations That Will Inspire You to Save the Planet
Impact AreasRead More