This Impact Area invests your money in companies impacting United Nations Global Goal 5, Gender Equality, which aims to achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
Why is this important?
According to United Nations:
- On average, women in the labor market still earn 23% less than men globally. If current trends continue, it is projected to take 70 years to close the wage gap.
- Only 38% of countries in a study of 173 have laws against gender discrimination in hiring practices.
- Women make up just over 30% of all managers in 70 countries.
- 55% of women in the EU have experienced sexual harassment, 32% of which experienced it in a place of work.
How do we choose companies in this Impact Area?
- We look at company reporting
- We partner with third-party rating firms
- We employ a proprietary scoring methodology
- We exclude companies with severe negative incidents or controversies
On what themes and metrics are companies evaluated?
- Strength of commitment to gender pay equality
- Percentage of women in senior management
- Strength of gender diversity programs and anti-discrimination policies
Gender EqualitySample Companies
- BAC Bank of America Corp.
- PEP Pepsico Inc.
- MAR Marriott International Inc.
- CSCO Cisco Systems Inc.
- AAPL Apple Inc.