This Impact Area invests your money in companies impacting United Nations Global Goal 6, Clean Water, which ensures availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
Why is this important?
According to United Nations and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Public and private solutions are needed to update and support the U.S. water infrastructure, which is estimated to require $1 trillion.
- Water scarcity affects more than 40% of the world's population and has been getting worse.
- A major source of water stress is irrigation, which uses about 70% of all water extracted from rivers, lakes, and aquifers.
How do we choose companies in this Impact Area?
- We look at company reporting
- We partner with third-party rating firms
- We employ a proprietary scoring methodology
- We exclude companies with severe negative incidents or controversies
On what themes and metrics are companies evaluated?
- Percentage of revenue from products used in water filtration and treatment
- Number and severity of water pollution incidents
- Commitment to improving water use in operations
Clean WaterSample Companies
- HSY The Hershey Company
- PEP PepsiCo, Inc.
- APD Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
- DHR Danaher Corporation
- TXN Texas Instruments Incorporated
The featured companies are examples of companies that may be included in the portfolio.