This Impact Area invests your money in companies impacting United Nations Global Goal 3, Good Health and Well-being, which aims to ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
Why is this important?
According to United Nations:
- 17,000 fewer children die each day than in 1990, but more than six million children die before their fifth birthday each year.
- Fewer teens are having children in most developing regions, but progress has slowed. The large increase in contraceptive use in the 1990s was not matched in the 2000s.
- Between 2000 and 2013, tuberculosis prevention, diagnosis and treatment interventions saved an estimated 37 million lives. The tuberculosis mortality rate fell by 45% and the prevalence rate by 41% between 1990 and 2013.
How do we choose companies in this Impact Area?
- We look at company reporting
- We partner with third-party rating firms
- We employ a proprietary scoring methodology
- We exclude companies with severe negative incidents or controversies
On what themes and metrics are companies evaluated?
- Steps taken to provide employee health and well-being programs
- Promotion of low-cost medical devices and medicines globally
- Percentage of revenue spent on R&D for rare diseases
Better HealthSample Companies
- AWK American Water Works Company, Inc.
- VRTX Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- MRK Merck & Co., Inc.
- REGN Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- ABT Abbott Laboratories
The featured companies are examples of companies that may be included in the portfolio.